Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Character Cards

Being a skirmish game, Song of Drums and Tomahawks allows for individual figures to have their own statistics, sort of like a role playing game.  In the scenarios, each character or troop type is given certain values to represent their fighting and activity abilities.  While I was waiting for some round bases to arrive in the mail, I decided to make Collectible Card Game (CCG) style cards to go along with the figures I'll be painting up.  My hope is that this will make it easier for players to find the stats needed for their troop types during games.

John Stone and his English crew

The artwork is "AI Generated" using a couple of the free art generators available online these days.  I'm not crazy about the pirate-ness of them, so I'll likely replace the images with photos of the actual figures once I'm finished painting them.  These work for placeholders however.

Each card gives all the statistics needed for game play.  At the top is the character/troop name, and their point value as calculated using the standard rules.

In the main area are any traits and weapons the character may have.  For weapons, I've included the range and any modifiers the firearm may have (short, medium, long).

In the lower left corner, on the gold coin, is the character's Quality value, given as "X+" indicating the die roll needed to make a successful activation roll.  In the opposite corner is the character's Combat score, given as "+X," or the amount of points added to a combat die roll.

Finally, at the center bottom, is the character's troop type.  Depending on the troop type, characters may have certain abilities that differ from other troop types.

Overall, I like this first draft.  For the natives, I think I'm going to use a different background color.  I may also do this for different nationalities, for example, I may use dark orange for the Dutch, and change the English to something like dark blue.  For now, though, these will work for game play.

No comments:

Post a Comment