Thursday, August 30, 2018

Movement Trays

While finishing up Warner's Regiment, I've been playing around with ideas for movement trays. Each miniature has been individually based on a round magnet, which will allow them to be placed on trays without toppling over.

My first experiment was to add four magnets to a base, build up the ground around them, flock the base, and add miniatures. I don't really care for how this looks though. The men stand too high off the ground.
Troops assembled on movement trays. "Replacement Dot" on left.

Various experimental versions
My next attempt was to cut holes for each miniature base in a piece of styrene, add a metal bottom, then flock that. I like this look much better, with each man resting nicely in place on the ground. I made a couple of 2x2 trays and a couple of 2x4 trays in this manner. I think I'm also going to do a few 2x6 versions.

While I was working on movement trays, I decided to add a base to the casualty figure that I have. It works perfectly well without a base, just placed on terrain, but adding a bit of scenery dresses it up a bit. Along with that, I also played with the idea of a “replacement dot” that could be swapped in for a figure on a movement tray if the unit takes a casualty. I like how this looks, so I'll likely make a few others to keep on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment