Monday, September 3, 2018

Game Board Testing

I've been going back and forth on ideas for creating a game board. I've been reading a number of blogs where the players use a flat terrain map, sometimes with risers beneath to create hills. Roads, rivers, and buildings are then placed on top to complete the terrain.

I'm not sold on above table rivers though.

Another option is to build a table with foam, where rivers and entrenchments can be carved down below the main surface. I like this look, but that potentially means creating a new board for each scenario.

The mid-point between these two would be a modular board made up of tiles. Several years ago I read about hexagonal pieces made from foam-board that could be mixed together to form a play surface, similar to old-school hex maps from games like BattleTech. I thought I'd take a crack at a small proof-of-concept version of that.

First up, I used a roll of flocked paper that I picked up at our local art store. I found some 1.5” foam-board in our basement, and a scrap piece of 1/4” plywood that I used to make a template from. With these in hand, I used my favorite spray-on tacky glue to attach the flocked paper to the foam. Since I don't have a hot-wire foam cutter (note to self, buy a hot-wire foam cutter), I tried a few different ways of cutting out the hexes. Scoring the lines with a hobby knife, then cutting them out with a small hacksaw seemed to work the best. The dust is messy, but a quick vacuum cleared that up.
Grass mat, foam board, spray glue & template

Flocked paper down and drying

First cuts
With the supplies I had on hand, I managed to make 8 full tiles, 4 half tiles, 4 end triangles, and 2 corner triangles. This gave me a playing surface roughly 2' x 2'. Three more sets will get me a surface suitable for some Smooth & Rifled skirmish games.

A decent start

Rough assembled board

Assembly after trimming tiles
Time and cost-wise, I'm not sure if these are worth the effort. I like the idea, especially once I start adding rivers and multiple levels, but some of the retail version out there may actually be cheaper in the long run.  The other issue with hand-made tiles is getting a tight fit.  These aren't bad for a quick test, and a hot-wire foam cutter would help.  I'll have to play with the idea some more before I make any purchase decisions.

With a bit of terrain and some troops..

Low angled shot shows the gaps a bit too much

Ground level view

Warner's Regiment in the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment