Monday, November 5, 2018

Setting The Scene - Quick Review

I've been remiss in posting lately, but real life and other projects have taken priority lately. Here's to getting back to it.


A few weeks ago, I sent for and received a copy of Setting The Scene: Winter Wargaming – A Guide For Creating A Winter Layout For The Games Table by Pat Smith. I'd been reading Pat's blog, Wargaming with Silver Whistle, and his Chain of Command reports. Each post is filled with beautiful photography of some really great scenery, so when I had the money, and they were available for purchase again, I decided to snap up a copy of his book.

The short review: I'm not disappointed.


The book is laid out so that, with a couple of exceptions, each chapter is a single project. The projects are written as step-by-step tutorials, and include notes on materials and how to use them. Projects range from roads to buildings to figures and backdrops. There's a lot of information that covers just about every part of the game table.


The photographs in Setting The Scene focus on gaming set in World War II in the Ardennes, but the techniques can easily be used for other settings. With my preference for AWI, for instance, the projects could be used to build a Battle of Trenton table, or more likely for me, a small skirmish set at the Shelburne Blockhouse.

The only drawback that I found to the book is that the photos seems small. They actually aren't, but I'm used to seeing the same scenery on a bright large screen blog format, so the printed versions seemed, less, somehow. This is a minor nit though, and one of my own making, so it's not really a fault of the book.

For anyone interested in obtaining a copy of Setting the Scene, head over to "Painting & Gaming" at www.stevenlampon.co.uk.


No comments:

Post a Comment