Friday, March 15, 2019

Dining Out

12 March, 1790 - A pleasant evening of conversation and merriment at the newly built Stagecoach Inn at Manchester.  Mrs. Davis and I joined some gentleman from the 3rd Massachusetts and 2nd Continental Artillery and their ladies for a light dinner and reminisces of past exploits.  A wonderful outing for all.

Dinner at Ye Olde Tavern


This past Tuesday, my wife and I joined a group of other reenactors for dinner at Ye Olde Tavern in Manchester, VT.  The Tavern was holding an electricity free dining experience, lighting the rooms by candle and lamp light instead of their usual lighting.  Whenever the restaurant does this, some acquaintances of mine from the Rev War community dress in kit and gather for dinner.  We weren't able to attend the last couple, but this week we were able to find a sitter for the children, and enjoy a night out with other adults.


Pardon the beard. It's still cold in the Grants.
Since this wasn't an official event, and my beard keeps my face warm in 20 degree weather, I didn't bother shaving.  In the 18th century, beards were not in fashion, so I usually would be clean shaven when in kit.  My wife keeps telling me we should do Civil War, so I can be in fashion no matter what.

Ye Olde Tavern - Built Circa 1790*

Dining Room Interior*
Ye Olde Tavern, were we dined, was originally built around 1790.  It's changed hands and purposes a number of times, but today makes a wonderful spot for stepping back in time.  The interior, especially, helps you slip back through the years.  Many of the other patrons of the restaurant, in fact, commented on how good we all looked in period clothes in a period setting.


The dinner party - Members from Warner's Extra-Continental Regiment,
3rd Massachusetts Regiment, and 2nd Continental Artillery.
Though not an official event, dinner was a great way to kick off my own personal 2019 reenacting season.  We're looking forward to attending another gathering in the future (past?).

*Photos from Ye Olde Tavern website

1 comment:

  1. We should do this again after the reenacting season winds down!

    ReplyDelete